Women Make Movies
115 West 29th Street, Suite 1200
New York, NY 10001
(212) 925-0606 ext. 303
Year organization became a 501(c)(3): 1973
Year of first fiscal sponsorship: 1977
Number of sponsored projects: 250
Fiscal sponsorship fee:
$35 annual fee. Donation fees: 6%, 9% for credit card donations, 7% for state/local arts & humanities councils.
- Aligned mission/values
- Minimum budget
- Other: All films in our program must have a female director or co-director.
Types of projects or services we sponsor:
- Arts and culture
- Children, youth and families
- People or communities of color/minorities
- Political advocacy/social justice
- Social services
- Youth development
- Other: We only sponsor media and film productions.
Services we offer projects:
- Receiving property and stock donations
- Other: Resources, workshops, fundraising/distribution consultations, sample proposals, discounts with other organizations.
Established in 1972 to address the under-representation of women in the media industry, Women Make Movies is a nonprofit media arts organization that facilitates the production, promotion, distribution and exhibition of independent films and videotapes by and about women. The Fiscal Sponsorship Program was designed for women filmmakers who are actively fundraising for their film or video project and need 501(c)(3) nonprofit, tax-exempt status. Other benefits of the program include fundraising and distribution consultations, WMM workshop discounts, networking opportunities, and online resources such as sample proposals and grant materials.