From the Preface, Fiscal Sponsorship: 6 Ways To Do It Right
“The entire book has been revised, taking advantage of new laws, rulings and court decisions, as well as the enormous real-world progress made by innovative fiscal sponsors.
• We now have IRS rulings and court cases that show how fiscal sponsorship can be done well and badly.
• A major collapse of a fiscal sponsor in California led to new legislation installing an early warning system to detect when funds held by a sponsor may be dangerously depleted.
• We’ve added new insights on the use of crowdfunding, online technology, donor-advised funds and social enterprises.
• Most importantly, we’ve expanded our treatment of each model so that most of what you need to know about that model is in one place.
• We continue, in the Postscript, to provide readers with new material and insights, both legal and practical, that affect the conduct of fiscal sponsorship beyond the features of specific models. We’ve seen many fiscal sponsors use new online tools to communicate with project leaders, manage the documentation inherent to fiscal sponsorship, and help projects raise money.”