Peace Development Fund
44 N. Prospect St.
Amherst, MA 01002
Year organization became a 501(c)(3): 1981
Year of first fiscal sponsorship: 1987
Number of sponsored projects: 36
Fiscal sponsorship fee:
PDF’s current fee for fiscal sponsorship administration is 7.5% of all monetary donations received on behalf of the project and an annual $105 fee to maintain a project’s fiscal sponsorship status. At the time of application, PDF requires a one-time, non-refundable $250 application fee, which covers the $105 annual fee for the remainder of the first fiscal year. The application fee must be sent to Peace Development Fund, Attn: Fiscal Sponsorship Program, P.O. Box 1280, Amherst, MA 01004-1280. Your application will only be reviewed after the fee has been received.
- Aligned mission/values: PDF provides fiscal sponsorship to a diverse range of projects and groups as part of our mission to build the capacity of community-based organizations fostering a more peaceful, just and equitable world.
- Geographic: PDF accepts applications from projects seeking fiscal sponsorship based anywhere in the United States and its territories. These projects may carry out work that is local, statewide, regional or international in scope. Find more information in our Fiscal Sponsorship Program handbook, which can be accessed on our website.
- Has an advisory group: We like to see at least some type of basic advisory/board structure.
- No government funding: No federal government funding: Acceptance of state or other government funding is on a case-by-case basis.
Types of projects or services we sponsor:
- Arts and culture
- Children, youth and families
- Economic development
- Environment/sustainable growth
- International development
- Mental health
- People or communities of color/minorities
- Political advocacy/social justice
- Social services
- Youth development
- Other: We sponsor projects that fit into the broad range of social justice/social change/community organizing/peace groups. We are also willing to discuss sponsoring other types of organizations.
Services we offer projects:
- Organizational development
- Receiving property and stock donations
- Tax reporting
- Other: Receiving all forms of donations including property and stock donations; sending donors proper IRS documentation for tax deduction purposes; opportunity to be member of PDF’s technical assistance program, The Sustainability Project. Coaching from PDF staff, including quarterly webinars, fundraising consultation, project development and nonprofit acumen.
Based on Fiscal Sponsorship: 6 Ways to Do It Right: Our model(s) of fiscal sponsorship are:
- Model C, Preapproved Grant Relationship
Founded in 1981, the Peace Development Fund is a public foundation with offices in Amherst, Mass. and San Francisco. Our mission: Peace Development Fund partners with community-based organizations and social justice movements, providing grants, training and other resources, working with donors and grantees to build a peaceful, just and equitable world.