Public Health Institute
555 12th St.
Oakland, CA 94706
Senior Director for Development
Year organization became a 501(c)(3): 1964
Year of first fiscal sponsorship: 1980
Number of sponsored projects: 250
Fiscal sponsorship fee:
16.5% of modified total direct costs (all costs except for material subcontracts and large equipment). PHI negotiates its federal indirect cost base and rate annually with the federal Department of Health and Human Services.
- Aligned mission/values: public health
- Minimum budget
- Other: PHI credentials all principal investigators/project directors and selects new projects with good prospects for funding.
Types of projects or services we sponsor:
- Children, youth and families
- Health/nutrition: research, training and technical assistance
- International development
- Other: PHI does not provide any direct services. Our work comprises research, training, technical assistance, and building local capacity domestically and around the world to improve health for all.
Services we offer projects:
- Bill paying
- Computer IT
- Human resource management
- Legal services
- Office space: not included in PHI fee, but we handle the leases
- Organizational development: limited
- Receiving property and stock donations
- Tax reporting
- Other: program and fund development; grant management
Based on Fiscal Sponsorship: 6 Ways to Do It Right: Our model(s) of fiscal sponsorship are:
- Model A, Direct Project
- Model B, Independent Contractor Project
- Model C, Preapproved Grant Relationship
- Model F, Technical Assistance
PHI improves health around the world through research, training, technical assistance, policy development and community capacity building.