Peace Development Fund
PO Box 40250
San Francisco, CA 94140
Director of Finance and Administration
Year organization became a 501(c)(3): 1981
Year of first fiscal sponsorship: 1987
Number of sponsored projects: 55
Fiscal sponsorship fee:
PDF’s fee for fiscal sponsorship administration is 7.5 percent of all monetary donations received on behalf of the project. Additionally, • PDF requires a one-time, non-refundable $250 application fee, • an annual $95 fee to maintain a project’s fiscal sponsorship status, and • in the event that the fiscal sponsorship is terminated, there is a $75 fee to transfer the project’s funds to another fiscal sponsor. If an organization does not have a website and wants PDF to host and update a webpage for them on PDF’s website, there is a $35 annual fee. PDF reserves the right to charge for any extraordinary costs that arise due to a fiscal sponsorship, such as if PDF or its accountants must examine an organization’s books.
- Aligned mission/values: We give first priority to groups that are most closely aligned to our mission, but are open to sponsoring other groups that fit into the broad scope of social justice.
- Geographic: As a national foundation we are able to sponsor groups anywhere in the United States.
- Has an advisory group: We like to see at least some type of basic advisory/board structure.
- No government funding: No federal government funding: Acceptance of state or other government funding is on a case-by-case basis.
Types of projects or services we sponsor:
- Arts and culture
- Children, youth and families
- Economic development
- Environment/sustainable growth
- International development
- Mental health
- People or communities of color/minorities
- Political advocacy/social justice
- Social services
- Youth development
- Other: We sponsor projects that fit into the broad range of social justice/social change/community organizing/peace groups. We are also willing to discuss sponsoring other types of organizations.
Services we offer projects:
- Organizational development
- Receiving property and stock donations
- Tax reporting
- Other: Receiving all forms of donations including property and stock donations; sending donors proper IRS documentation for tax deduction purposes; opportunity to be member of PDF’s technical assistance program, The Sustainability Project.
Based on Fiscal Sponsorship: 6 Ways to Do It Right: Our model(s) of fiscal sponsorship are:
- Model C, Preapproved Grant Relationship
Founded in 1981, the Peace Development Fund is a public foundation with offices in Amherst, Mass. and San Francisco. Our mission: Peace Development Fund partners with community-based organizations and social justice movements, providing grants, training and other resources, working with donors and grantees to build a peaceful, just and equitable world.