Earth Island Institute
2150 Allston Way, Ste. 460
Berkeley, CA 94704
Director of Project Support
Year organization became a 501(c)(3): 1982
Year of first fiscal sponsorship: 1982
Number of sponsored projects: 70
Fiscal sponsorship fee:
10% general income. Negotiated indirect rate on federal grant income, approximately 14%. For projects with revenue in excess of $500,000 in a fiscal year, administrative fees may be decreased.
- Aligned mission/values
- Other: Environment/sustainable growth
Types of projects or services we sponsor:
- Other: Our projects all have environment at their core, though they may also address related issues such as health, international development, women, youth development.
Services we offer projects:
- Bill paying
- Computer IT
- Human resource management
- Office space
- Organizational development
- Receiving property and stock donations
- Tax reporting
- Other: We also offer projects training, technical assistance, coaching and a peer learning community.
Based on Fiscal Sponsorship: 6 Ways to Do It Right: Our model(s) of fiscal sponsorship are:
- Model A, Direct Project
Earth Island Institute is a hub for grassroots campaigns dedicated to conserving, preserving and restoring the ecosystems on which civilization depends. We cultivate environmental leadership by acting as an incubator for new programs and providing long-term support for established environmental projects, giving crucial assistance to groups and individuals promoting ecological sustainability and social justice. Today our fiscal sponsorship program supports 70 projects across the United States and around the globe, providing financial management, administration, technical assistance and training. We have helped launch more than 150 campaigns, including such notable alumni as Rainforest Action Network, Urban Habitat, and Energy Action Coalition.