2530 San Pablo Ave., Suite H
Berkeley, CA 94702-2000
Year organization became a 501(c)(3): 1969
Year of first fiscal sponsorship: 1993
Number of sponsored projects: 9
Fiscal sponsorship fee:
The Ecology Center charges a 10% administrative fee. In return, the Ecology Center provides financial management, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, bookkeeping, monthly financial reporting, sales tax filings, annual financial audit and IRS 990 filing.
- Aligned mission/values: The most fundamental eligibility requirement is that the mission and activities of your project are in alignment with the Ecology Center’s mission, which is to promote environmentally and socially responsible practices through programs that educate, demonstrate and provide direct services.
- Geographic: The Ecology Center does not provide fiscal sponsorship to individuals, for-profit entities and projects with international activities but no U.S. office.
- Type of service
- Has an advisory group
- Minimum budget: Applicants must have an operations and fundraising plan. The ideal candidate will have raised a minimum of $25,000, although we do make exceptions.
Types of projects or services we sponsor:
- Environment/sustainable growth
- People or communities of color/minorities
- Political advocacy/social justice
- Youth development
Services we offer projects:
- Bill paying
- Human resource management
- Receiving property and stock donations
- Tax reporting
Based on Fiscal Sponsorship: 6 Ways to Do It Right: Our model(s) of fiscal sponsorship are:
- Model B, Independent Contractor Project
The Ecology Center facilitates urban lifestyles consistent with the goals of ecological sustainability, social equity and economic development. We seek to make these goals accessible by providing people with the information they need, the alternatives they seek and the infrastructure necessary to make sustainable practices possible on a large scale. We aim to make the visionary mainstream. Our programs include Information Services, Berkeley’s residential curbside recycling, the three Berkeley Farmers’ Markets, the Farm Fresh Choice food justice program, Terrain Magazine and the EcoHouse demonstration house and garden. We also serve as the fiscal sponsor for a wide range of projects that align with our mission.